wtorek, 22 stycznia 2013

7 stages of change

They say "there is seven phases of grief", well, maybe. Never really though about it. I have noticed, however, similar thing in my life happening recently.
Almost three months ago I have changed my job. While working in the Bunch I was responsible for Linux based email servers. Linux is my true love and thing I like to work with. My weapon of choice and my friend. I know more or less how it works, what it needs, how to handle it. My new employer expects from me to work in Microsoft based ecosystem, which I never been fan of. Therefore I never got to know it deeply. Switching between technologies is like grieving, for a friend I really miss.

7 Stages of Grief...

1. SHOCK & DENIAL
Firstly I couldn't believe how this is constructed and everything is so overcomplicated. Do I really need virtual server to access jump server? Whoa! Just give me back my "black screen". I am not going to work that way!

2. PAIN & GUILT
They say that after first shock wears off, excruciating pain takes it's place. That's true... I had a remorse of making this decision. "Why? Oh, why I left my job in Bunch, now I have to click and click and deal with all these windows!?"
The most difficult this was learning how to use multiple remote desktop sessions and not to get lost in the jungle of them.

3. ANGER & BARGAINING
Then came the Anger. "This shit does not work? Aaaaaarhg, f-word! f-word! f-word!"

4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS
When the anger vanished. I felt a bit depressed, a bit alone. I demanded the answers no one could give me.

5. THE UPWARD TURN
As the time passed by I learnt more and more things about new environment and understood, I cannot always live in my shell [here: bash].

6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH
Here and now I am. I am starting to understand how the things are working here. Ms built their products in a different way than normal people would do and I am starting to accept it. I see less and less problems which look like the stone giants which I will never leap over.

7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE
This is supposed to be the last step. But for me it's not the step, this is reality, we are not greaving here anymore. We are ready to work and stand up to our challenges.
And soon I will stand to my new challenge, leave my shell [bash] and find a new one.
PowerShell here I come!

Thinking positively.
Wień

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz